- Verified CPD – Annual 10 hours
- Rolling three-calendar year period including four hours of verified professional ethics CPD – 60 hours
- Additional CPD – Annual 10 hours
- Rolling three-calender year period of additional CPD – 60 hours
- Total CPD hours 120
Verifiable vs. Unverifiable CPD Learning Activities
CPD does not have to be taken through CPABC – it does not even have to be taken in Canada. CPD may be completed through any learning institution, organization, and/or employer. Nor does CPD have to be accounting related – members choose the area of learning. Verifiable CPD only has to be relevant to the member’s particular employment or professional role, business situation, or career aspirations. At least half of the minimum CPD requirement must be satisfied with verifiable CPD.
Verifiable Qualifying Hours
Refers to learning activities for which there is satisfactory evidence to objectively verify participation. Members may only report the actual number of hours that were spent developing new or existing competencies.
Examples of verifiable CPD:
- Attendance, as a participant or lecturer, at courses, conferences, seminars, workshops, presentations, technical committees or discussion groups;
- Research that results in publications or presentations;
- Structured employer-based in-house training sessions;
- Programs of study that involve the successful completion of an examination or certification in the current CPD reporting year;
- Computer-based learning activities that involve the successful completion of an examination or certification; and
- Professional re-examination or formal testing.